Spring is in the air here in Chatsworth and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The True Temp Heating & Air Inc team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home look as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to sync up with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous sabbatical on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post information about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to save some energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give True Temp Heating & Air Inc in Chatsworth a call at 706-695-7492.